Posted by: Chris Laughlin
Happy Earth Day Ocean Champs! In the spirit of the 41st anniversary of Earth Day, we’ve created a list of top 11 Earth Day 2011 Must Haves:
1) An Ocean Champions membership of course, I have to start this Earth Day wave with a hearty splash! As you know, Ocean Champions is the only ocean group that endorses and supports Members of Congress who work tirelessly on behalf of ocean health. This ensures our voice is heard, but we can’t do it without your help. This Earth Day, become a “Fighter for Fish” by giving generously to Ocean Champions.
2) A robust arsenal of green knowledge and tools to use in every day life and the courage to educate others. Ignite the ripple effect baby!
3) A bicycle, hybrid or electric vehicle to commute to and from work and other destinations. Here’s a great, definitive guide to some amazing vehicles in the electric universe. Dust the cobwebs off of that trusty old beach cruiser or 10 speed and give it a run for its money.
4) The initiative to eliminate pesticides and fertilizers in the garden and lawn and a push or electric mower. Check out this great site for info. on healthy green lawn care.
5) Stuff we gotta have: food and water – support local and organic farmers and invest in a water filtration system/healthy water source and reusable water bottles to prevent consumption of bottled water.
Juvenile albatross killed by 306 pieces of plastic and marine debris consumption
6) On the go items: a travel mug for your Cuppa Joe or tea (preferably not plastic) and Chico bags or reusable canvas/nylon bags for groceries and other shopping items.
8) Energy efficient appliances, electronics, light bulbs, water fixtures, etc.
9) If paper products is a must, go 100% post consumer recycled on everything possible: paper, business cards, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. and embrace their equally important companion: the ever humble recycle bin.
10) The incessant paper trail, abort abort! Go electronic when possible and take control of those unwanted magazines, catalogs and mail.
11) A green certification for your business. You may already be doing a number of green things in the work place, embark on a green mission to take those remaining steps needed to become officially green certified! Ocean Champions is proud to be recognized today, on Earth Day, 2011 as the second nonprofit business in Capitola, CA to become a certified green business. Ocean Champions received the recognition from the Monterey Bay Area’s Green Business Program who’s Task Force recognizes Ocean Champions as an environmental leader that conserves resources, promotes pollution prevention and minimizes waste.
Date Posted: April 22, 2011 @ 9:41 am Comments Off