Congresswoman Niki Tsongas
|| Natural Resources, Armed Services
||Sustainable Energy and Environment Coalition
|Quote from Website
"Since being elected in October, 2007, I have made protecting our environment and promoting energy independence a priority of my office."
“I will continue to defend the conservation of open spaces, including forests, wetlands, waterways, and ocean habitats, as they represent a link to our rich, historical past and a way forward toward environmental preservation and responsibility.”
Leadership: As a member of the House Natural Resources Committee and a founding member of the House Sustainable Energy and Environment Coalition, Congresswoman Tsongas is an important voice for ocean conservation. She is a long time supporter of the National Ocean Policy, recognizing that the challenges facing our oceans require improved inter-agency coordination and stakeholder involvement that it provides.
The Congresswoman has also worked to prevent damage from offshore drilling oil spills, having led an effort to require oil companies to prepare detailed plans for responding to a worst-case scenario before they could drill. She knows that, in addition to their impacts heathly oceans, oil spills can devastate other resources such as commercial fisheries. Congresswoman Tsongas has also worked to oversee legislation related to domestic clean energy production, supporting companies aimed at developing and manufacturing clean energy technologies within her home state of Massachusetts and has focused on restoring and protecting the health of Massachusett’s rivers.
Representative Tsongas sponsored:
- H.R. 412 (Nashua RIver Wild and Scenic River Study Act of 2013)
- H.R. 1890 (SAFER Drilling Act of 2011)
- H.R. 2240 (Lowell National Historical Park Land Exchange Act of 2011)
- H.R.412 (Nashua River Wild and Scenic River Study Act of 2012)
- H.AMDT.284 to H.R. 1231 (Amendment sought to require that all applicants for a drilling permit under a lease issued pursuant to the bill would have to submit a worst-case scenario oil spill containment and clean-up plan of 2011).
- H.R. 351 (Minute Man National Historical Park Boundary Revision Act of 2009)
- H.R. 5709 (Oil Spill Preparation and Protection Act of 2010)
- H.R. 5853 (Minute Man National Historical Park Boundary Revision Act of 2008)
Representative Tsongas cosponsored:
- H.R. 3780 (Ocean Energy Safety and Technology Improvement Act of 2013)
- H.R. 2502 (Renewable Energy Parity Act of 2013)
- H.R. 2023 (Climate Change Health Protection and Promotion Act, 2013)
- H.R. 1630 (America's Red Rock Wildnerness Act of 2013)
- H.R. 1837 (Clean Water Protection Act of 2011, of 2013)
- H.R. 3238 (Incentivizing Offshore Wind Power Act of 2011)
- H.R. 139 (Udall-Eisenhower Arctic Wilderness Act of 2011)
- H.R. 601 (End Big Oil Tax Subsidies Act of 2011)
- H.R. 1380 (New Alternative Transportation to Give Americans Solutions Act of 2011)
- H.R. 1916 (America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2011)
- H.R. 1964 (Conservation Easement Incentive Act of 2011)
- H.R. 3286 (Local Farms, Food, and Jobs Act of 2011)
- H.R. 3465 (National Forest Roadless Area Conservation Act of 2011)
- H.R. 21 (Ocean Conservation, Education, and National Strategy for the 21st Century Act of 2009)
- H.R. 1310 (Clean Water Protection Act of 2009)
- H.R. 5214 (Big Oil Bailout Prevention Act of 2010)
- H.R. 1016 (To amend the Omnibus Parks and Public Lands Management Act of 1996 to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to enter into cooperative agreements with any of the management partners of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area, and for other purposes of 2007).
- H.R. 1590 (Safe Climate Act of 2007)